Sunday 15 September 2013

Robots and Fruit

Right, I suppose I'll live up to the name I've given this thing and talk about tech.

In the last week or so, Apple released their new iPhones, the 5C and the 5S.

What I don't like about Apple is that they release these new versions of products, which are only iterative releases, but make them sound super brilliant compared to the last one. Both the new iPhones run iOS 7, which, as far as I can tell, is a childish version of iOS, and, in some ways and places, a blatant copy of Android. There have been enough comparisons done on that last point, so I won't do another one. This is a good example of why Apple bothers me, claiming they are innovating, when they are just repackaging Android.

I'm perfectly happy to admit that I might be missing the point with the iPhone. I want a phone (or tablet) that I have the freedom to do whatever the hell I like to, as regards customisation. Part of the beauty of Android is that whole thing of, if you don't like something, change it. You want to use more of your screen space, or want a whole new look for your phone, install a new Launcher. Want to change icons? Download an icon pack. Want a new update months before your carrier or manufacturer wants you to get it? Install a custom ROM. Android is all about choice, and that's why I've bought into that ecosystem.

Don't forget finance either. Unlocked, the iPhone 5S will cost at least €700 here in Ireland, once it launches. You can buy an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4, and a new 32GB Nexus 7, from the UK, Google Play Store and get it posted to your door, for £460. That's, at today's rates, about €550. And you've gotten two devices for less than one comparable iPhone.

Then again, Samsung do the same thing. They hype their products up so much, but then forget to tell you that all the software makes your phone slower and full of junk you'll only ever use once. Some of their features are good, Multi-Window springs to mind, where you can have two windows side by side. On the other hand, a custom ROM called Paranoid Android made a feature called HALO, which is more versatile, and allows you to do something similar. And they open-sourced it, unlike Samsung, so anyone can use it, free of charge.

What do you guys think? Which side do you vote for? Feel free to comment :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment